Saturday, June 25, 2005

Something About Being Interviewed

I spent the day in Seoul today buying souvenirs throughout the city. It is now less than a month until I come home so I thought I'd better start getting things ready. My first stop was Insa-dong, an arsty/fartsy area of Seoul that is loaded with souvenir shops. While looking around the area I was approached by 5 elementary school students. So began the first of three interviews I gave for the day.

Q:"Sir, we are from ???????? Elementary School. Could we ask you a few questions?"
A:"Sure. "
(smiles and laughter all around)
Q:"Um, what country are you from?"
A:"Canada"
Q:"How many years have you been here?"
A:"I've been here for two and a half years."
Q:"Ohhhh. Where do you live?"
A:"I live in Nonsan"
Q:"Ahhh. Okay. Can we take your picture?"
A:"Sure."
(The five students pose with me as a passer-by takes the picture)
"Thank-you! Bye!"
"Bye."

I wasn't very enthusiastic to do the interview; I had a headache and the temperature was pushing above 30 C. Anyways, I found a pharmacy soon after so all was good.

My next stop was Itaewan, the most well known foreigner area in Seoul. The only reason I went there was to buy phone cards. Usually I try to stay away from the place (it's packed full of American soldiers on weekend leave). Anyways, as soon as I got off the subway I was approached by my second interviewer of the day, this time an adult from a milk company.

Q:"Hello, do you like milk?"
I don't like milk and only have it with my cereal. Given I rarely eat cereal for breakfast it's safe to say I rarely drink milk. That said, the girl was cute so I decided to go along.
A:"Yes, I like milk."
Q:"Oh, well then would you mind if I ask you a few questions?"
A:"Sure."
I can't rember all the questions but they were all milk related (duh). They went along the lines of "how often do you drink milk" and "what's your favorite brand of milk?" At the end of the interview she gave me a gift. It was actually pretty cool: an alarm clock/calendar/thermometer with batteries. I already have one but hey, it was free.

After Itaewan I was off to COEX Mall, a typical western mall. I like to go there because it's just a cool place to be. I was there for about 10 minutes when I was approached by 3 elementary school students.
Q:"Hello, sir, could we ask you a few questions?"
Yadda yadda yadda. It was pretty much the same as the first interview.

Finally it was time to go home so I was off to Yongsan Station. The way my day was going I was sure I would be approached by someone while I waited for my train. Alas, nobody came up to me! That made me happy. The last time I was at Yongsan Station I was ambushed by 2 Jehovah's Witness's who tag teamed me with their gibberish for 20 minutes. So now I'm at home watching CNN and checking my email. In other news, the rainy season is expected to start either Sunday or Monday. Great. It's expected to last until the end of July and include at least 3 typhoons. Super.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home