Sunday, July 02, 2006

Something About The Man of Steel

When I was in grade 2 my favorite movie was Superman. I remember receiving a Superman poster from Ponderosa and hanging it on my bedroom wall. I was sad to hear about the death of Christopher Reeves but was intrigued when I heard Warner Brothers was making a new Superman movie. I remember they had originally cast Nicholas Cage for the role of this new movie. Thank goodness they scrapped that idea. Really, how stupid would that be?

As it turns out the new movie is amazing. The writing, the acting, the music; everything was great. I was glad to see the tone of this new movie was an "action-comedy" like the originals. While Clark was his bumbling self, I think they could have made Lois a bit more ditzy like Margo Kidder used to portray. Despite the praise I've given there are two points that didn't impress me.

The first was when it emerged that Lois' son is actually Superman's. Superman and Lois? I know they kissed a few times, but Superman always erased her memory afterwards. But in this movie she seems to admit the fact her son was actually conceived with Superman. This didn't play well with me. If Superman took off his costume to be "intimate" with Lois, how on earth could she still not realize that Clark was Superman? Do those glasses make that much of a difference to his appearance? I thought this side plot was a bit dumb.

I also thought the beating Luther's goons gave Superman was a bit harsh. Kicking, punching, and holding his head under water? This is way too violent for what is considered to be a family movie. That said, the showing I watched was interspersed with annoying kids running around the theater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home