Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Something About Wolves

This past week CNN aired two segments featuring an inside look into North Korea. The segments had correspondent Mike Chinoy interviewing residents and officials. Part 2 of the segment (aired Tuesday) has Mike in a hotel room reading from the North Korean Phrase Book. The passage he read was too fast to catch in Korean, but it's English translation was "Yankees are wolves in human shape." In another part, Mike and his crew are permitted to film a North Korean circus as long as nobody goofs up. Sure enough, someone fell off the high wire and filming was ordered to be stopped. CNN advertised that they will air the entire segment, "Life In North Korea," again this weekend. You can watch the 2nd segment here. Interesting stuff. I remember someone telling me about South Korean text books (Janice?) in my first year hear. Some of them went along the lines of "If one red commie has lunch with 3 red commies, how many red commies do you have?" Again, funny stuff. In keeping with the whole Korean theme, my High School students think I am becoming an Asian. On Monday one of them commented that my hair looked blacker that day. They all agreed. When I protested, they said "Oh, no teacher, we have noticed this happening for some time now." They think that my hair has been getting darker because I am "turning Asian" (Koreans all have black hair). The crazy part about this is that they were completely serious about their remarks (they are 16 years old!). I can assure you that my hair is not becoming black. I went on to tell the class that I had blonde hair until I was 10 years old and since then it has been blue (when the Jay's won the 2 World Series), multi-coloured (I attacked my shaved head with a bingo dabber one Christmas) and occasionally blonde. In final news, I have decided to visit Hong Kong from September 16th - 19th.

2 Comments:

At 9:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are they happy that you are becomming Asian? How long does this process take? What is going on in Hong Kong in September?

 
At 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Mike Peacock said...

Yah, they were happy. They think the longer I stay here, the more Asian I will become. September 17th-19th is Chusak in Korea. It's equivelant to Canadian Thanksgiving. The difference is that the entire country shuts down. Nothing is open, not even convenience stores. My first Chusak in Korea I went to Japan. Last Chusak I went to China. I really like Chinese culture so I thought I'd give Hong Kong a try. I'm also going to visit Macau (it's a one hour ferry ride from Honk Kong).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home