Saturday, February 04, 2006

Something About Being Outnumbered

Lately I've been reading reports about the huge winter storm that crashed through the Maritimes this past week. Even CNN had a report about it. Having lived in Moncton for almost 7 years I understand the crazy weather that can hit the east coast. What really drew my attention about the storm was what happened on Pictou Island, Nova Scotia. The huge waves caused the local seal population to seek refuge on the island. They would normally climb onto pieces of floating ice but, because of warmer temperatures, none were to be found. The population of Pictou Island during the winter months is a whopping 18. Compare that with the 3,000 adult seals that retreated to it's shores. The adults brought with them about 400 seal pups. Officials say 75% of the pups were carried out to sea and drowned. Let's refresh those numbers: 18 residents living on an island with over 3,000 seals. I think I would be shaking in my boots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home