Saturday, April 23, 2005

Something About Keyhole

It's Saturday! After finding no English movies worth watching in Daejeon I decided to head home. I wanted to test out "Keyhole," a satellite search ran by Google. I must say I was impressed. First I signed up for a free 7 day trial. My next task was to try and locate familiar houses. First up: Granny.


Her house wasn't hard to find. I typed in "Richmond Hill" and moved my way up Young Street. The above picture is of her block. Her house is below the house with the green roof. Impressed yet? The next picture is on a higher zoom. As with most things, the higher the zoom the worse the picture. I'm pretty sure I can make out her blue car in the driveway.

Next up: Doug and Carol's. I had a hard time finding it but eventually the water tower led me to the right area. You can see the shadow of the water tower in this picture.

I'm pretty sure one these houses is theirs...if it's not let me know. I tried!!!!!!

Next up: Mom and Dad's. Sorry, no success. Keyhole only has actual photo's from major cities. Pretty much the entire Toronto/Grey Bruce area is available. Peterborough and Lakefield are not. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Next up: Nonsan. Again, no success. The only area that has satellite pictures in Korea is Seoul. Interestingly enough you can also look at pictures from North Korea. I gave up trying to find people I know either because they didn't live in a place that offered actual photos or because I simply didn't know where they lived. That in mind I just played around.

Next up: Beijing. This is a picture of Beijing City Centre with The Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square in plain view.

Below are close ups of The Forbidden City* and Tiananmen Square* respectively.

I thought Keyhole was a pretty cool tool to use. If you use it you have to be patient as the screen zooms in on the location. There's a buffer meter that will tell you the progress...a buffer level of 100 is as good as you will get. Like I said, I used a 7 day trial. A yearly subscription is $29.95.

*I've been known to be wrong (very often)...if these pictures are NOT of The Forbidden City and Tiananman Square, please tell me.

3 Comments:

At 9:21:00 AM, Blogger Janice said...

Mike, it's the weekend. Of course you're right. They are the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square. Chairman Mao's mosoleum is the big squarish thing dominating the bottom half of Tienanmen. Well done! (But, why?)

 
At 9:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike... you have too much time on your hands. You need a wife and a baby. Then you don't have time for senseless searching and playing. I am envious!

 
At 9:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it is great that Mike is trying to educate us and show us things that no one else has time for. My question is where do you get these things from? Do you just do a search for wierd things on the net? I mean really, a shower head demonstraightion????? At least you are never boared!!
LRB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home